Just is

Hi again. Things are moving at break-neck speed. I said I was working in another department (De-kit) for a few days last week, and that I suspected the manager was sounding me out about a possible transfer over there. Well, I had one day back in the freezer (and remembered just how much I hate it), then half way through my shift yesterday the freezer manager told me he’d received an email from the de-kit manager, asking if I would like to transfer over there permanently!

I immediately said "YES!"

This prompted my manager to ask if I’d already been approached over it, as normally people would ask what their shifts were and such-like. I said it was the first I’d heard of it, but whatever the shifts "it’s better than this. Death’s better than this."

He didn’t have any details, but he had already sent a return email asking for them, assuming I’d want to know before deciding. I’ve been off today, so hopefully tomorrow I’ll have all the details. The only ones that really concern me are how soon I can start, and at what time.

There are a few things I’ll need to sort out, that I’m still on 2-10 (or day off) on the day I take my driving test (again) in the morning, and if at all possible that I’m still off this Sunday.

Sah bum nim hasn’t contacted me, and I am working every club night this week so I’ll not see her, but I think it’s the Taekwondo grading this Sunday. I feel a bit cheeky asking to take it after letting the club down by not competing last Sunday. I’ll leave it until Friday, if she’s not contacted me, I suppose I should send an email. If she is going to be petty she can always ignore it until it’s too late. I might not even be off, if it’s an immediate start in de-kit, with a different rota.

Also hanging on any potential new rota are repairs to the Micra. I thought it was going to fail it’s MOT, so have been refraining from spending any money on it until I knew how much it would cost to set right. I put it through today, and really the main damage is a ton of welding on the front cross member. There were big lumps of rust flaking away in my hand when I got round to changing the bumper, that’s when I thought it would fail.

Anyway, a brake pads, welding, a tyre and two new gaiters, and two bulbs. They quoted me £200 for the lot. They didn’t pick up on a knocking sound at full lock on the steering, but when I questioned them they said it was probably the CV joints (the things the gaiters would have been protecting if they weren’t split). Possibly another £90, with labour.

It looks like I’m stuck with the mighty Micra for another year. I’m not going to get a reliable car for £290.

To tie in the de-kit and the car (and the money-pit that is Taekwondo) when I do get transferred, I can start hammering the overtime. Perhaps do 10-10 on my 2-10 week (when I won’t be able to go to Taekwondo anyway) and work my days off in the week on 6-2. Wait and see. At least it is an option again.

The other main thing on my mind is this bloody cold I’ve had for coming on a fortnight now. I keep thinking I’m over it, and it keeps coming back and kicking seven bells out of me. I woke up this morning (said I woke up this morning, and I heard a disturbing sound. Sorry, Blues Brothers digression) with it heavy on my chest, and hour later I was good enough to do my hour’s TKD work out, then by five this afternoon I was back on the Lemsip, I’ve just taken some more paracetamol, and my head is killing. (Though I’m beginning to wonder, belatedly, if it’s not my sinus’s blocked up). 

Poorly Bucky.